Wednesday, October 19

-The Conclusion-

**Read "My Critical Analysis" below FIRST**

I have done the homework and finished the research:

They do have a reason. There is some logic to all the confusion.
By donating your shoes, you REALLY can help save someone from AIDS.

First off I visited one of the collection boxes to read all the signs:
“8500 People die a day from AIDS”
“Be part of the solution!”
“HIV Testing Available”

I then visited the Health and Wellness center in the basement of the Student Center. I talked to a lady named Tricia. She informed me about the shoe display happening at Library Square on Oct.22nd. She told me it was more of an awareness event than anything else. Many volunteers have been going door to door in the community asking for $5 donations with every pair of shoes. But Tricia explained that because we are all poor college students they weren’t ask for donations along with the shoes.

She then sent me up to the Thayne Center for more info. They plan to put 8,500 pairs of shoes outside to represent all those who die everyday. It sounds like it’s going to be a big party. They hope to raise thousands of dollars for aids research. Other organizations outside of the college are also involved. After the display they are selling the donated shoes. Here are the estimated stats:

--35 boxes/barrels distributed throughout SLCC campuses
--900 shoes have been donated so far
--that means 26 pairs per box/barrel
--700 donators
--1.29 pairs per donator
--550 $5.00 dollar donations
--which equals $2,750 total

Amazing! I had no idea this was so huge. They still need 7,600 pairs of shoes by the 22nd, so get donating. You only have four days! Then to further help the cause go buy your shoes back!

2 comments:

Treemo said...

Thanks for the comment, rock on

fezzik said...

Hey, how'd the drive go? Sorry I couldn't donate. Not really able to at the moment. It sounds like a cool idea. Way to do your research, too.