Saturday, October 15

--My Critical Analysis--

Too Critical? –You Decide.

There have recently been a number of collection boxes around the SLCC campus. They are covered in brightly-colored paper, and they are plastered with pictures, statistics and large letters: “End AIDS, Donate Your Shoes!”

Would someone please kindly explain how donating my shoes will end AIDS!

Are the collections for me, the donator, or for the person receiving my shoes?

Donating my shoes would be a self-less service; a true gift from the heart…or my feet. Whatever. Anyways, would the feeling I get when I freely put my old shoes in this box somehow stop me from contracting the disease?

Or is the joy of getting my used shoes great enough to stop HIV positive people from spreading their own deadly disease? Are my shoes going to suppress someone’s urge to have unprotected sex with an infected individual?

How does giving my shoes to a poor kid in Africa do anything about the problem at hand? Are my shoes going to squander the African myth that having sex with a virgin will cure AIDS?

For discussion purposes, let’s just say donating shoes really can end aids. This means I ought to go out and buy a few new pairs today at Payless. I would donate them tomorrow in the pretty boxes and someone’s life would be saved. Many lives in fact, because curing one person would cure all those people that the individual would have spread the disease to. Are you following me? It’s truly astonishing how buying two pairs of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shoes for $28.98 can save lives.

Please. Donate those old, worn-out shoes you have on those spoiled feet of yours. Don’t you have a heart? Do YOUR part to save someone's loved one:

“END AIDS, DONATE YOUR SHOES!”

1 comment:

Pavlov Stowardi said...

WHAT???

Sex with virgins doesn't cure AIDS???

Damn. There goes my only rebuttal...